ACCOMPLISHMENTS (Band History at bottom of page)
- Facilitates Middle Eastern drum class, bi-monthly, 2012 – ongoing.
- Published “Ocean Rhythms” adult coloring book. October, 2016
- The Aquatomic Lounge (Dawn and John’s vintage Yellowstone travel trailer) featured in Vintage Camper Trailers, Issue 22, Nov/Dec, 2015.
- Published “My Mother’s Garden” adult coloring book. (shown above) Oct., 2015
- Facilitates monthly “Drum and Dance” (imrov bellydance w/doumbeks), 2015.
- Plays percussion and Native American flute for Savasana Meditation at Danville Yoga Center. Monthly, 2014 – ongoing.
- Studio visited by ArtSpace (art-centered community revitalization group, Roy Close, Anna Growcott) and Danville Regional Foundation (Ina Dixon, Elyse Jardine), to get Dawn’s input regarding art spaces for artists. 1/2015
- Assisted Danville Parks & Rec dance classes w/warm ups and drills. Jan. 2014
- Published “Treasures from the Kukui Lagoon” (a tiki drink and food recipe book with a brief history of tiki and exotica music, a glass ID page, and art), 2013
- Teaching: bellydance at Front Porch Fest, Stuart, VA. Sept. 2013
- Taught “Fun, Not Fear” improv bellydance workshop (using dance games to assist dancers with improv expression), Danville, VA. 7/2013
- “Oasis Elements” duo performed at Darbukastan Independence Days, 6/2013.
- Work exhibited at Milton Studio Art Gallery, Milton, VA. 2013 – 2015
- Dawn’s bellydance students debut performance at Haunted Harem Hafla, 2012.
- Teaching bellydance (2012 – ongoing)
- Teaching: Middle Eastern Rhythm Exploration (MEREkats) beginner doumbek classes (2012 – ongoing), Danville, VA.
- Published “Madlenda’s Raqs al Sharqui Card Deck”, a practical tool for bellydancers. 1/12 (sold out)
- Member, “Danville Fashion Team” for “In Frame Visual Arts” mag. Issue 6: Dawn’s bellydance clothing/accessories; I7: her steampunk items, 2012
- Presented “The Mural Process and Business” to Danville Art League at Museum of Fine Arts and History, 10/2011. Honorary Member of the DAL.
- Bellydance performance at Dan River Art Works “Bra Show and Auction” for local breast cancer foundation. Donated painted bra for auction. 2011
- Hosted “Heart of the Arts” weekly live television program, 2011. Guests included Danville Symphony, Lee Sandstead of the Travel Channel’s “Art Attack”, Melissa Charles of Union Street Theatre (shown here), Averett Theatre Department, Harry Aron, and other local artists and performers. View episodes on the Eclectic Dawn youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/eclecticdawn
- Judged “Festivus” art show at Dan River Art Works, along with Kenneth Bond (Averett University) and BethAnn James (TV personality). 10/2011
- Member of Dan River Art Works (gallery). 9/2011
- Traveled to Madison, WI, to paint ten more murals at Little Explorers Pre-School (in addition to the 2000 sq ft she completed in 2007). 7/2011 https://youtu.be/pdJtEyALx50
- Judged music entries of the Rockingham Co. Arts Festival, NC. 6/2011
- Opened Etsy shop featuring her hand-crafted and original artworks. 6/2011
- Pilot episode of her live arts show, “Heart of the Arts” airs, (guest Deb Graham). 5/11
- Interview: WMDV Southside Central/Bruce Hedrick. Interview was well-received, and she was asked to host her own weekly arts program. 5/18/11
- Airbrush portrait of Rita Hayworth selected for cover of Danville Register Bee’s special issue, “It’s All About Her”. 5/2011
- Interviewed by StarNews (tv) and WAKG (radio) at Art on Main. 5/2011
- Exhibit: Festival in the Park, Danville, VA. 2011
- Exhibit: Art on Main, Danville, VA. 2010, 2011
- Hosted yearly Danville bellydance hafla. 2011 – 2013
- Presents “How to Airbrush Portaits on T-shirts” to Danville Art League. 12/2010
- Teaches “How to Paint” class for teens, 2010.
- Guest host of The Pace podcast with a discussion about women and riding. 2010
- Dawn’s airbrushed customized Honda ACE Tourer wins 1st Place at Two Rivers Rally.
- Her CB750 airbrush art wins trophy at Tobacco Alley Bike Rally, 5/2010
- Guest of The Pace Podcast, discussing bikes and art. 2009/2010
- Her airbrushed customized 1998 Honda 1100 ACE Tourer wins Best Bike Overall, Bogie Burgers, 9/2009.
- CB750 airbrush art wins Best Paint, Bogie Burgers Bike Night. 8/2009
- Dawn’s Honda Shadow 1100 Tourer appears in “Hot Bikes Bagger” magazine. 12/2008
- Exhibited her Nature and Buddhist works at Danville Yoga Center, 11/2008.
- Her Honda Shadow ACE 11oo wins 2nd Place at Crane Tire Bike and Car Show, 5/2008
- Video of custom Honda Shadow ACE 1100 project: https://youtu.be/jFdd-UHgaHQ
- Honda CB750 airbrush work appears in 12/2007 issue of “The Horse” motorcycle mag.
- Invited to display motorcycle airbrush work in Rick Doss’ custom shop. 11/2007
- Artist and her murals are featured in a Madison, WI, News 3/UPN 14 story by Teri Barr, RE: Little Explorer’s Preschool. 9/2007
- Artist completes over 2000 sq ft of murals at Little Explorers in 19 days. 9/2007 (Video of the project: https://youtu.be/yp0iY17LnpE )
- Exhibit at Art on the Lawn, Danville Museum of Fine Arts and History. 5/2007
- Member of Danville Art League, 2007.
- Selected to be a featured artist in Airbrush Technique Magazine. 2007
- White Star Publishing, Nat Geo’s partner in Italy, requests images of her custom motorcycle for a book on customs. 1/2007
- Honda Shadow VLX600 project: https://youtu.be/pdJtEyALx50
- “Mermie”, her Honda 600 custom “ocean” bike wins “Best of Show: Honda” at Biff Burger’s Bike of the Year Show, St. Petersburg, FL, out of over 100 bikes. 3/2006
- “Mermie” wins 2nd place, Best Bike, Sneaky’s Bike Night (2 for 2), Largo, FL. 2006
- “Mermie” is Top Runner Up, Biff Burger’s 9th Annual Toys for Tots Bike Show. 12/2005
- Nebraska Archaeology Society commissions artwork depicting Clovis culture mammoth hunt for prints for their auction. 2005
- Published “Intimate Nature – Musings and Memories Celebrating Life’s Circular Nature”, photos and essays, 2005
- Airbrushed high performance race boats (including OSS’s T. Werner’s 40′ Super Cat) at Performance Plus Marine, Largo, FL. 2004
- Featured full page artist inArtWanted’s “Creative Minds” book. Selected as one of 20 artists to jury art from several hundred artist’s portfolios. 2004
- Consistently a “Top Ten” artist on ArtWanted.com, among 10,000+ members, ’03 – ’05.
- “Our Florida Home” design chosen for ’04 Tallahassee Door Project.
- “Naptime” painting shown @Kelsey Keller & Associates Fine Art Dist., Tampa, 2004
- Exhibit: Indian Stuff, St. Petersburg, FL. 2003/2004
- Exhibit: The Rack, St. Petersburg, FL. Large canvas works on display (nudes). 2003/2004
- Exhibit: Art Arbor, Boyd Hill, St. Petersburg, FL, 2003.
- Exhibit: “Artists at Work” Native American Exhibit, Hillsborough Community College, Tampa. One of only two non-Native Americans invited to show. Nov.-Dec. ’03.
- Featured guest on Madame Ani’s radio show, “Ask The Blonde”. 8/2003, discussing art, spirituality, life.
- EDA store feature: Watermark Magazine (Central FL Arts/Entertainment). ’02
- NEW St. Pete News: multiple features regarding EDA store. 2002, 2003
- Northeast Neighborhood News: multiple features: EDA store. 2002, 2003
- On Tampa news. CH 10: 2002 (henna art).
- Member of Homeless Task Force, St. Petersburg, FL, 2002
- Featured on Bayside News: 2002, 2003 (EDA store).
- Exhibit: Circus McGurkis, The People’s Fair, St. Petersburg, 2002, 2003
- Henna art presentation at Herb’n Yoga, St. Petersburg, 2002.
- Henna art at Viva La Frieda, Tampa, w/The Tribe, 2002, 2004
- Exhibit: Java Jane’s, Gulfport, FL, w/The Tribe, 2003 (tribal accessories)
- EDA store featured on Downtownpete.com, 2002, 2003.
- Henna Art presentation at bellydance Winter Hafla, 2002, St. Petersburg, FL.
- EDA store listed in St. Pete Downtown Map and Guide, 2002.
- Featured on Sterling Powell’s “Art of Living” website, 2002 (EDA store).
- Opened Eclectic Dawn Arts import store/gallery in St. Petersburg, FL, with Michelle Gagnon in 2001.
- “Sparrows on my Porch” poem published in Wisconsin Poet’s Calendar, 1995.
- “New Business of the Year” 1991, “Service Award” 1992, Waupaca County Chamber of Commerce. (The Sentiment Shop antique/crafts store in Manawa, WI.)
- Published numerous short articles on various topics in WI newspapers, ’90 – ’96.
- Owned/operated The Sentiment Shop (antiques and hand-crafted goods) in Manawa, WI, 1990 – 1996.
- Exhibited/sold antiques and hand-crafted items at shows throughout WI, ’90-’96
Dawn taught herself to play guitar at 11 years of age, a couple years after she started lessons on keyboards and clarinet. She has performed solo and in various bands (guitar, keyboards, vocals), and toured throughout the Midwest and Eastern U.S. since the early ’70’s.
Her bands have backed up such groups as Survivor, UFO, Pat Travers, Danny Johnson and the Bandits, B*tch, Kenny Loggins, and even the Mommas and the Papas. Dawn has done jingles and voice-overs for commercials in Green Bay and the Fox Valley, and in 2011, voice-overs for a local Danville, VA, TV station.
She performed a solo tribute show in the mid-90’s, appearing as Marilyn Monroe, Cher, Stevie Nicks, and Janis Joplin. Dawn has a solo CD (“The Keeper of the Flame”, 1998), and plays guitar, ukulele, clarinet, piano, Native American flute, doumbek, and has dabbled with a lap harp, didgeridoo, and violin. She has taught guitar, piano, ukulele, and doumbek.
Dawn is the only female rocker to win the WAPL Battle of the Bands. Her band Hijinx headlined the first Memorial Fest in Appleton, WI, performing in front of an estimated crowd of 12,000.
Couzins (teens: Dawn, her brother, Rich, and cousin, Jim, mid-1970’s)
Sweet Ash (high school friends)
David Christopher and Night Scream (recorded one 45, touring band based in Appleton, WI)
White Witch (five women from Fox Valley).
Uptown (lounge, Minneapolis-based touring group)
Paradise (rock/semi-lounge, Minneapolis-based touring group)
Sister Max (show band, Minneapolis-based touring group)
Non-touring bands based in Green Bay, WI:
Roadhouse (classic rock/lounge/events)
Deb-on-Air (funk/r&b/Minneapolis sound)
Hijinx (recorded one 45)
Sister Sweetly (northern WI ski lodge rock band)